Monsopiad Cultural Village + Miss Tourism International 2023
Tour by Day to Monsopiad Cultural Village:
Monsopiad Heritage Village is a traditional village with a historical site opened on the 1st of May 1996 to commemorate Monsopiad. Monsopiad was a fearsome Kadazan Headhunter warrior who lived in the Village of Kuai 300 years ago who was born to a woman named Kizabon and her husband Dunggou.
More than just a museum, the concept of the Monsopiad Heritage Village is to document, revive and preserve the history of Monsopiad, as well as the culture, traditions, and beliefs of the Kadazandusun people. The village offers you the opportunity to see and experience the culture and lifestyle of how the indigenous ethnic communities of the Kadasandusun used to live in the past.
Cultural Dances Performance: 11am
Things to do:
1. Guided Tour
- Have a tour around the cultural village while accompanied by your tour guide and the in-house guide. Dive deep into the history of "Monsopiad" , the fearless and legendary Kadazan head-hunter warrior and spirit worshipping, where the "Bobohizan" (High Priestess of the Kadazandusun), ruled the villages and took care of the health and spiritual well-being of their people. The main highlight of the tour is visiting the House of Skulls , where the 42 real human skulls which are beheaded by Monsopiad himself is displayed.
2. Learn and have a taste at the signature "Sabahan" dishes.
- When it comes to traditional food, Sabah has many yet delicious dishes which are mainly pickled or preserved. For example : Bambangan (Wild mango), Tuhau (Wild ginger) and more.
3. Have a taste of the traditional Sabah rice wine
- Savour the taste of traditional Sabah rice wine made from glutinous rice and local yeast. You might also be able to taste 3 types of rice wine such as Lihing, Talak, and Sikat.
4. Take the butod challenge!
- Butod (Sago worms), is the larvae of sago palm weevil, species of snout beetle that consumes sago palm during its infancy. Its also delicacies in Sabah and Sarawak and enjoyed as nutritional by the indigenous community for centuries. Do you dare to take the challenge?
5. Watch and take part in the fire making challenge!
- In the olden days, women must learn how to start a fire using a traditional method which was considered the main qualification for marriage. Come and try it out to see if you are qualify for marriage!
6. Participate in traditional games
- Learn and experience traditional games such as , slingshot and blowpipe shooting which was one of the methods used by men in the olden days for hunting.
Participate in Miss Tourism International 2023 at Night:
"Bringing the World to Sabah"
- Official Theme for Miss Tourism International 2023
Sabah , "The Land Below the Wind" is proud to announce to be the host for the 26th Miss Tourism International finals which will take place in Sabah International Convention Center (SICC) this 25th November 2023. Where 45 delagates from 45 different countries will be arriving at Sabah to compete to be the 26th Miss Tourism International. Be apart of this grand and once in a lifetime event while cheering for your country representative delegate while also promoting the tourism and culture of Sabah to all parts of the world !
Itinerary* The itinerary is for reference only, it subjects to any necessary changes in accordance to local requirements.
Pickup Time & Transport Fee
How to Pay
Pay on travelling day
No advance payment is required, simply pay cash in Ringgit-Malaysia to tour guide. However, you still need pay in full for any cancellation made 1 day prior to tour date.
Accep Visa and MasterCard credit card, Malaysian bank transfer, Paypal, FPX, Alipay. 2.3% surcharge apply. Please be noted that 2.3% processing fee is non-refundable in case there is cancellation 3 days after the payment made.
Min. Participant(s): 1 Persons To Go (child does not counted)
Tour location / Depart from: Kota Kinabalu
Recommend to book: 1 month(s) in advance
To book at least: 30 day(s) in advance
Cancellation & Refund Policy: Not refunable for any cancellation made.
Tour Type: Sit-In-Coach basis (SIC). This tour is not private tour, you will share the trip with other guests come from different countries. Please notify us upon booking if you are looking for private tour, surcharge might be applied.
Insurance: Tourist transportation insurance included. Please contact your insurance agency for personal travel insurance.
Pickup Service: Pickup service will be provided from the hotel/hostel/lodge that you are staying. Please wait at lobby while the tour guide will find you when he/she arrive. Dropoff service will be provided after travelling, please notify us upon booking if your dropoff location is differ from pickup location.
Specialities: You may decide the joining date, no compulsory tips (If you are happy and satisfied with the journey and the tour guide service, it's always a nice way to express your appreciation with tipping, OR words of thanks is good enough).